For this video we have used the Kiddies Food Kutter & Safety Food Peeler. This is an Australian owned and operated company, established in 2000. They specialise in selling two safety products designed to foster children’s interest in getting involved in cooking. They’re all about promoting healthy eating for children of all ages and abilities. Their safety knife & safety peeler are safe for little hands and perfect for helping the little ones learn cooking skills from a young age.
Both products are BPA free and dishwasher safe.
The Safety Food Peeler is plastic moulded, sturdy and bladeless (recommended for ages 3 and up). They are Australian Designed, Made & Owned.
The Kiddies Food Kutter has a stainless steel blade with rounded teeth and no sharp edges (recommended for ages 2 and up).
Kiddies Food Kutter is the recommended safety knife for Jamie Oliver’s Learn Your Fruit and Veg, a food education program exclusively delivered in Australia by The Good Foundation to schools, early learning centres and after school programs.
More information about their products can be found on:
- 750 gr potatoes peeled and cubed
- 2 medium carrots peeled and cubed
- 1 large onion chopped
- 2 cloves garlic crushed
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- salt & pepper to taste
- 100 gr cheddar grated
- vegetable oil for frying
- Peel, cut and wash the potatoes and the carrots. Place them in a medium sized pot and cover with water. Place the pot over medium-high heat and bring to a boil. Let them simmer for around 20 minutes or until they are easy to pierce with a knife.
- While the potatoes and carrots are boiling, pour the olive oil in a small pan and fry the onion and garlic until golden brown. Season with salt and pepper. Set aside to cool.
- Once the potatoes and carrots are cooked through, drain in a colander. Transfer them to a bowl and mash them using a potato masher.
- Add the cooled onion and garlic mixture, the cheese and season with salt and pepper. Give the mixture a good stir.
- Form into patties.
- Place a heavy-bottomed frying pan over medium-high heat and pour the vegetable oil (enough to cover the bottom of the pan). Shallow fry the patties until golden brown on both sides.
- Once ready, transfer them to a plate (lined with paper towels).
- Serve hot. Enjoy 🙂