These sardines a staple in Moroccan cuisine. They are a very famous street food, especially in fishing villages. Fresh off the grill and they cost nearly nothing. Can it get better than that? Try them out and you will definitely not be disappointed. Serve them with fresh bread and/or freshly homemade fries. Absolutely divine!
|Prep Time||25 minutes|
|Cook Time||30 minutes|
- 1 large bunch of parsley
- 1 large bunch of coriander
- 3 cloves of garlic
- 250 ml extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 1 tsp ginger
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
For the chermoula marinade:
- Blend the parsley, coriander, garlic, olive oil and spices in a food processor until all ingredients are combined.
- Ask your fishmonger to clean, debone and butterfly the sardines for you.
- Spread some of the mixture onto 1 sardine fillet and top with another same sized fillet (end result should be like a sandwich of sardines with marinade in the middle). Repeat with remaining sardines.
- In a plate, mix the coating ingredients together.
- Lightly coat the sardines in the mixture make sure that they are fully breaded.
- Heat the vegetable oil in the pan. Shallow fry the sardines, for about 1 minute each side or until golden brown.
- Squeeze some fresh lemon juice on top and serve with fresh bread and/or fries.