|Prep Time||10 minutes|
|Cook Time||1 hour|
- 500 gr long grain rice
- 500 gr minced beef
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 large onion diced
- 3 cloves of garlic minced
- 1 medium zucchini grated
- 1 large carrot grated
- 1 tbsp curry powder
- 1 jar tomato passata (675 ml)
- 2 tbsp tomato paste ‘kunserva’
- 125 ml water
- 2 eggs
- 250 ml milk
- 4 tbsp grated parmesan cheese + 2 tbsps extra for topping
- 1 stock cube (we used chicken)
- 1 tbsp granulated sugar
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 tsp butter
- 2 tbsp grated cheese for the topping
- Par boil rice according to packet instructions. Drain and set aside.
- Pre-heat the oven to 200°C.
- In a large pot, fry the onion and the garlic in the olive oil. Add the minced meat. Cook for 2 minutes and then add the curry powder. Add the grated zucchini and carrots. Mix the mixture well and cook for 5 minutes.
- Add the passata, the tomato paste and the water and mix well.
- Add the stock cube, sugar and salt. Bring to a boil and then reduce to a simmer. Simmer on low heat for 20 minutes.
- In a bowl, mix together the eggs, milk and grated cheese.
- Add rice and the egg mixture to the meat and tomato sauce.
- Butter a large baking dish and add the add the rice mixture.
- Place the dish in the oven and bake for 40 minutes or until crispy around the edges.